*** Hot Air has been featured in the Ballooning Journal twice! (May/June 2012 and Jan/Feb 2014) ***
Hot Air is a flight logging and tracking application made especially for hot air balloon pilots! It's like having a log book and data recorder in your pocket! Hot air is loaded with lots of different features; many based on pilot feedback from around the world.
- Real-time tracking! Great for improving situationally awareness, see your current location on a map or satellite imagery
- Waypoints to show your distance, bearing, and ETE to a target location
- Offline maps available
- Record your entire flight path (you can even turn your screen off during recording)! Then you can export your flight to your computer and view it in 3D using Google Earth
- KML/KMZ overlays! Add custom overlay data to the real-time flight maps (can be used to map out electric lines, friendly or unfriendly places to land, denoting special airspaces, include information such as radio frequencies or phone numbers, etc.).
- Wind data tracking - records wind speed and direction at the various altitudes as you fly
- Integration of the Glympse location sharing service to allow ground crew, family, or others to track your flight in real-time. They can track you using almost any device with a data connection.
- Flight Log- the log makes it easy to track information common to all pilots such as crew members, passengers, maximum envelope temperature, and propane used. The log also makes saving takeoff and landing locations convenient, thanks to the iPhone’s GPS or triangulation capabilities; plus, it has a "favorites" list for takeoff locations. The log can also aid in flight planning and separates future flights from past flights using a simple color-coding scheme.
- Flight Data Summary: this tab quickly tallies flights and hours flown. The summary includes a total of all flights or just the ones made within the past 90 days. Plus a summary of the crew used for past flights.
- Summary Map: on the map tab, the logged flights that have a saved takeoff and landing location can be plotted and compared on an interactive map
- Data export: export your flight log in HTML, KML (for viewing in Google Earth), and GPX (GPS Exchange)
- Data backup and restore - to be certain your data is safe!
- Comprehensive payload calculator
- View weather conditions and forecasts from within the app
- Universal app - works on iPad (landscape and portrait) as well as the iPhone and iPod touch!
- Facebook integration - it is easy to post a quick summary of your latest flight to Facebook and even includes a link to a map!
- Real-time tracking heading projection-line option
This app includes translations in English, French, Czech, and Slovak!
Note: During real-time flight mode the GPS is continuously running in the background which can significantly decrease battery life.